8-Night All Gay Spain & Portugal Douro River Cruise, Jul 5-13, 2019
MS Miguel Torga
SCROLL DOWN FOR DETAILED ITINERARY AND PRICING
9-day adventure starting in Madrid during Pride; then sail the lush Douro River Valley with its enchanting towns and celebrated wines of Portugal. (Early Booking Rates Expire March 31, 2018)
Indulge your passion for food, history, and music as you discover the warmth of Portugal and Spain. Experience the “sunny side” of Europe, starting in radiant Madrid, then follow the Douro River through Spain and into Portugal. Feel the warm sun on your skin as you cruise past terraced hills, quaint villages and acres of ripe vineyards. From taking in a traditional flamenco show to memorable local food and wine tastings, this all-gay Brand g cruise and tour gives you the very best of the region.
Cruise through the UNESCO-designated Douro Valley, where grapes have been grown for 2,000 years. Visit picturesque quintas and meet the winemakers who run them. In Porto, where the Douro River meets the Atlantic Ocean, explore architectural wonders, shop the bustling Rua de Santa Catarina and sip the city’s storied port wines at its preeminent cellars. Travel overland through the countryside and stop in Coimbra, Portugal’s third-largest city and birthplace of six of the country’s kings.
Reward your inner explorer with Portugal & the Douro River, an all gay adventure that blends captivating cities, picturesque villages and unparalleled scenic cruising through this less-traveled corner of Europe.
It’s the perfect combination of inspiring places and rich history in the comfort of an all-gay environment.
- 2 nights hotel accommodation in InterContinental Madrid (or similar), with daily buffet breakfast and complimentary wireless internet.
- Half-day guided city tour of Madrid including visits of the Royal Palace and the Prado Museum.
- Transfer from Madrid to ship in Vega de Terron, with stop in picturesque Salamanca.
- Experience multiple Unesco World Heritage sites.
- 6 nights deluxe cruise accommodation.
- Life enriching tours and excursion.
- State-of-the-art portable audio-headset system on all excursions.
- Gourmet dining with all meals included during your cruise.
- Complimentary free-flowing beverages onboard, including wine, beer, spirits, coffee, tea, mineral water and soft drinks.
- Bottled water in every stateroom replenished daily.
- Complimentary Wireless Internet in all public areas.
- Welcome Dinner and Farewell Cocktail Party & Dinner.
- Onboard special highlights including cultural performances, educational discussion forums, theme dinners and ship tour.
- Transfer from ship to Porto airport.
- Optional 2-night post cruise extension in Lisbon.
Call (954) 735-8108 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13869154
|Jul 5||Madrid||Welcome to Madrid! Our guides will meet you at the airport to assist with your transfer to the Westin Palace Hotel or similar, conveniently located in the heart of Madrid. After settling in to the hotel make the most of the remainder of your day by exploring the city on your own and taking in the many festivities of Madrid Gay Pride.|
|Jul 6||Madrid||Your panoramic tour of this lively metropolis will take you to some of Madrid’s most famous sights. Then explore the massive Prado Museum, which features one of the world’s finest collections of European art. With nearly 7,600 paintings among its holdings, the Prado’s assemblage is truly stunning in both its depth and breadth. (B)|
|Jul 7||Madrid / Salamanca / Barca d'Alva, Portugal (Embarkation)||From Madrid travel overland to Salamanca, a UNESCO world Heritage city. The architectural purity of this charming town has endured through the centuries, during which time its sandstone buildings have acquired the exquisite glow that gives Salamanca its nickname, “The Golden City.” Walk under plateresque arches and past ornately decorated masonry walls as you explore the university.?Then visit Salamanca’s extraordinary Old and New Cathedrals. Continue on to Barca d’Alvaon the Spanish/Portugal border and board the Miguel Torga. (B,D)|
|Jul 8||Barca d'Alva, Portugal||Visit the 12th-century walled village of Castelo Rodrigo (one of the twelve historic villages of Portugal), with its medieval streets and stone- walled houses vantage point.|
|Jul 9||Pinahao||Lamego, a small, picturesque town that is rich in history, invites you to explore its streets today. Lamego houses one of the most important pilgrimage sites in all of Portugal: the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Remedies. Sitting atop a hill, the sanctuary overlooks the town and can be reached by climbing its 686 steps. You’ll get to see it up close on today’s tour and have a chance to admire its gorgeous panels of blue and white tiles before enjoying another treat—a delicious wine tasting. In the evening, enjoy a Gala Dinner onboard your ship.|
|Jul 10||Regua||The Douro River winds through one hundred miles of granite mountains, carving out a valley whose steep slopes hold terraces that were cut by hand into the rocky soil and planted with grapes centuries ago. Visit the Douro Museum to learn about the river and its wines. See, too, Mateus Palace, which has one of the most beautiful gardens in the country. In the evening, you’ll tour the family-owned Quinta da Avessada, which produces premium Moscatel. After strolling the grounds and meeting the owner, you’ll partake in a rustic dinner featuring fine local wines and traditional live music.|
|Jul 11||Regua/Porto Antigo||Today you’ll venture to the charming, old-world town of Amarante, which is situated between the bends in the Tâmega River and the cliffs of the surrounding mountains. Many of its remaining historic structures are Romanesque in style, several of which you’ll see on your guided walking tour through this lovely riverside town.|
|Jul 12||Porto||Birthplace of Henry the Navigator (who launched Portugal’s voyages of exploration) and longtime hub of the Port wine trade, Porto combines well- preserved historic buildings with cutting-edge architecture and a booming cultural revival. Your tour will take you to the 19th-century Palácio da Bolsa and then on to the cathedral and the bustling shopping street, Santa Catarina. After lunch, you’ll visit one of the city’s famed Port cellars.|
|Jul 13||Porto (Disembarkation)||Morning disembarkation. Transfer to Porto airport(OPO) or join the 2-night post cruise extension in Lisbon|
- Bicycle Touring
- Bird Watching
- Fitness Center
- Music Festivals
- Nature Observance
- River Cruise
- Sea Kayaking
- Urban Adventure
- Religion and Spirituality
- Wine Tasting
- Horseback Riding
- All prices in U.S. dollars and are cruise/land only. All reservations are subject to Brand g's Terms and Conditions. Initial deposit is $850 per person, with final payment due March 7, 2019. Price is per person based on double occupancy. Port fees of $199 and gratuities of $175 are additional. Single Supplement for Cruise is $2500, limited to categories A, B and C. Save $500 per person if booked by March 31, 2018. All availability and prices are subject to change without notice. Not responsible for errors and omissions.